In this briefing:
- Starboard Value. The Game Changing Activist Investor That Doesn’t Take No For An Answer.
- Hyundai Autoever IPO Bookbuilding: Surprising Results, Local Street Bets on Autoever/Glovis Merger
- A Trading Strategy for Hyundai Autoever Post IPO
New York based activist investor firm Starboard Value has been intricately involved in shaping the fortunes and futures of two high profile technology companies in recent years, Marvell and Mellanox. The firm first to prominence some five years ago when they were the first among their peers to accomplish the extraordinary feat of replacing the CEO and entire board of Fortune 500 restaurant group Darden, while holding less than 10% of the company’s shares.
In the wake of their Darden coup, the firm has gone from strength to strength. To date the firm has taken positions in a total of 105 publicly listed companies, replacing or adding some 211 directors on over 60 corporate boards.
On March 7’th 2019, Starboard Value announced the acquisition of a 4% stake in US comms infrastructure firm Zayo. In the intervening period, Zayo’s share price has risen by 14% as canny investors scramble to partake in the goodness that will surely be extracted by the activist firm that simply doesn’t take no for an answer.
2. Hyundai Autoever IPO Bookbuilding: Surprising Results, Local Street Bets on Autoever/Glovis Merger
- Subscription rate is 797 to 1. Offer price was fixed at ₩48,000, substantially higher than the upper end. Deal size is now ₩168.5bil. Company value is put at slightly higher than ₩1tril. Demands are spread out pretty well between long-term funds and hot money and local and foreign investors as well. All of the orders are universally placed at 75% of upper end or higher.
- Local street is betting on Autoever/Glovis merger not long after this IPO. That is, HMG is still wanting the initial Glovis/Mobis merger plan. To better manage to win shareholder support, they must be thinking that bigger Glovis can be an answer. This means HMG should do whatever it takes to make Autoever bigger in the immediate future.
- This is what local street is betting on and why they went really aggressive on this IPO. As witnessed in the bookbuilding results, this street mentalitywon’t be changed any time soon. We should expect even stronger prices after new shares are listed on Mar 28.
In this report, we provide a trading strategy for Hyundai Autoever Corp (0978519D KS) IPO, which is expected to start trading on March 28th. The IPO price has been finalized at 48,000 won, which is 9% higher than the high-end of the original IPO price of 44,000 won. The institutional investors’ demand for the Hyundai Autoever IPO was very strong at 797 to 1.
Given the very strong institutional demand for this IPO, it appears that our base case valuation (59,454 won), which is 24% higher than the IPO price, may be too conservative. A more likely scenario now is that the stock reaches about 60,000 won to 65,000 won in the first few hours of trading on the first day, overshooting its intrinsic value and sells off a bit for a few days/weeks, enters a consolidation phase and then resumes its higher share price again.
Of the 913 institutional investors that participated in the Hyundai Autoever IPO survey, 89% of them thought that the intrinsic value of the company should be more than the high end of the IPO price range (44,400 won), which provides a strong vote of confidence that this IPO should do well once it starts trading.