In today’s briefing:
- Alibaba (BABA): 3Q22, Transforming Missions Going Under Slow Quarter
- Byju’s Tearsheet – India’s Largest Edtech Company
- Playtech (PTEC LN): A Nuanced Flutter
- NetEase (NTES): 4Q21, Better than Expectation
- LG Energy Solution: End of the One Month Lock Up Period & More Selling Likely Ahead
- Intel Analyst Day: Still a Top (Funding) Short
- YC-Backed Fazz Financial Eyes Series C Funding
- Optimising and monetising user funnel to drive customer lifetime value
Alibaba (BABA): 3Q22, Transforming Missions Going Under Slow Quarter
- BABA’s app, SDTao, has been taking active users from Pinduoduo.
- We believe BABA’s physical store chain, Freshippo, will go public.
- We believe BABA will stop investing in unprofitable Ele.me as it underperforms Meituan.
Byju’s Tearsheet – India’s Largest Edtech Company
- Byju’s (Byju) is the largest edtech company in India. It offers online and offline courses.
- As per media reports, its latest funding round on Nov 21 was done at a valuation of US$21bn.
- Byju is rumored to be in talks with Churchill Capital VII SPAC to go public in the US.
Playtech (PTEC LN): A Nuanced Flutter
- On the 2 February, Playtech Plc (PTEC LN)‘s shareholders voted down Aristocrat Leisure (ALL AU)‘s £2.1 billion Offer.
- The Offer failed after Playtech was unable to engage with a block of Asia-based investors who owned ~28% of the company.
- As a developer of online casino games, Playtech is an obvious target. Reportedly its second-largest investor and two Playtech CEOs – former and current – are piecing together a deal.
NetEase (NTES): 4Q21, Better than Expectation
- Revenue grew strongly due to the new game, Harry Potter.
- We believe NTES has confidence in the growth of cloud music.
- We believe the stock has an upside of 32% for the year end 2022.
LG Energy Solution: End of the One Month Lock Up Period & More Selling Likely Ahead
- In this insight, we discuss the end of the one month lock up period and more block selling ahead by major investors for LG Energy Solution in the weeks ahead.
- There are 1.75 million shares under the one month lock-up period, representing 0.7% of outstanding shares.
- At current price of 416,500 won, we believe there is an additional 11% downside risk to LG Energy Solution shares over the next 3-6 months (using the base case valuation).
Intel Analyst Day: Still a Top (Funding) Short
- Intel’s Analyst Day last week set forth unhittable revenue growth targets
- Capex and Gross Margin guidance make no sense…Intel should’ve reset gross margin expectations…why it is still a good short.
- Neutral (meaning 0) FCF through 2025 is a BS…if Western governments don’t cover capex, FCF will be negative, potentially hitting the dividend since buybacks are eliminated for the near future.
YC-Backed Fazz Financial Eyes Series C Funding
- Fazz Financial Group is looking to raise a series C funding round this year, and it has already drawn the interest of several “top-tier US tech investors.”
- The Southeast Asian fintech firm also said that its monthly revenue jumped 2x to US$2.6 million in December 2021
- Its monthly transactions also hit over US$800 million, a threefold increase from the same period the previous year.
Optimising and monetising user funnel to drive customer lifetime value
- One 97 Communications’ (OCL or Paytm used interchangeably in the report) two-sided digital ecosystem of 64.4mn average monthly transacting users (MTUs) (as at Dec’21) from >350mn consumer base and over 24.9mn merchants is core to its unit economics.
Content is external broker report sourced from online content aggregator through publicly available sources and is displayed below for general informational purposes only. Refer full disclaimer below.
Before it’s here, it’s on Smartkarma